RentSmart online course will help you find and keep housing and turn you from being a renter into the ideal tenant landlords are looking for.
Through RentSmart you can learn knowledge and skills for successful tenancies which will also help you to keep your damage deposit, saving you hundreds of dollars each time you move. You will receive a RentSmart Certificate of Completion for graduating. A RentSmart Certificate is recognized by a growing number of landlords as a sign of an excellent and committed tenant.
RentSmart is especially important in today’s low vacancy, high-cost rental markets with competition for good, affordable housing. Rent Smart course will help you have knowledge and confidence to effectively find and secure a home that fits your needs and budget. You will learn how to make the right impression, be prepared to manage your responsibilities and will have tools to effectively communicate with your landlord and neighbours, making you the ideal tenant. RentSmart graduates know what it takes to be a good tenant, and landlords know they do too.
Register for RentSmart Today
Once you’ve found a home, RentSmart will help build skills to keep your home and have a happy, successful tenancy! Many people take RentSmart even after they’ve secured a rental because understanding how to create healthy tenancies can equal a long term tenancy, benefiting tenant and landlord, neighbourhoods and communities. If you are looking for long term stability in your rental home, RentSmart is the course for you!
You will learn:
- What you need to know about renting, including tenant and landlord rights and responsibilities, and easy to understand descriptions of key laws
- How to be prepared for renting and living on your own or with a roommate
- What questions to ask to help you afford a rental
- How to be good with money, create a housing budget, and manage an emergency budget
- How to identify and avoid a scam listing, protect your safety, and find a great landlord
- How to effectively communicate with your landlord and neighbours
- What to do if an issue or challenge arises
- How to find information you are looking for in residential tenancy act
- How to be prepared for a rental showing and living on your own or with a roommate
- What are maintenance dos and don’ts – who’s is responsible for what
- How to deal with pests, safety and fire
- How to identify and avoid a scam listing protect your safety and your belongings
Our real world scenarios cover practical tips like what to bring to a meeting with your potential landlord, a step by step guide on how to compose a cover letter, understanding your credit report and what landlords look for, how to communicate with landlord if something needs fixing, and how to ensure you get your damage deposit back.
Time: Learn at your own pace. Approximate 3 hours
- The importance of home – Understanding your needs and wants
- Applying for housing
- The law – Tenant rights and responsibilities
- Landlord expectations and responsibilities
- Let’s talk about money – Managing finances for housing affordability
- Communicating effectively and managing crisis
- Taking care of home – Maintenance dos and don’ts, dealing with pests, fire safety